Monday, August 15, 2011

What are YOUR favorite "Budget Family Meals"?



Earlier I was thinking, I don't have much interaction with my readers and I've been trying to think of a way to get it "going".
As I was planning out dinners for the week, I was searching the internet for "Budget friendly" meals and then it occurred to me... YOU wouldn't be here if you didn't want to save money right?? So who better to get some budget dinners that from YOU! Yes I'm talking to YOU!

Hopefully some of you will post some great ideas that we can all share!

I have to say, my favorite budget saving dinner is BREAKFAST for dinner. I'm not a big breakfast eater, by the time I'm done drinking my coffee, it's lunchtime... for some reason I can't eat anything until I'm finished drinking coffee, well... because my coffee just doesn't taste as good after eating. So I like to have breakfast for dinner at least once a week. Pancakes, eggs and sausage links are a favorite here.

The least expensive dinner I have come up with that everyone seems to love is when I make Rice a Roni and add sliced up sausage, kielbasi, or bratwurst to it. It costs less than $6.00 for a family of 6!

So if you could... post some of your budget family dinner recipes in the comment section below and I hope to make it into a whole post once I get a few gathered! If you are a blogger, I will give credit where credit is due, so be sure to leave your page name :)






Share |

2 comments:

  1. My fave meal on a budget is:
    Tamali pie
    Basically it is just a chili made thicker than usual and then topped with cornbread batter and baked... YUMMM. It generally comes out to be about $7 for a family of 5 or 6
    1lb ground beef
    1 15oz cans of whole tomatoes (crush with your hands)
    1 8oz can of tomato sauce
    1 package of McCormick chili mix seasoning
    1 onion
    1 can of corn (drained)
    1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)

    Brown the ground beef with the onion in a bit of olive oil. Before the ground beef is completely browned add the chili seasoning packet and let the beef finish browning.
    Once the ground beef is ready add the crushed whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, the corn and the black beans and let simmer for at least 1 hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cheap go-to dinner is Chili-n-Cornbread:
    Dump 4 cans of chili into a 13x9 baking dish. Place in the oven @ 350 degrees. While that heats, take 3 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix and follow the directions on the box. When the chili is starting to bubble at the edges, sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top, then spread the cornbread mix over all. Cook 'til cornbread is nice and brown. The total cost depends on how cheap you find your chili, but for my family of 6, we manage this one for around $6.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, however, advertising/spam will be removed immediately.